Are you up for the Masterpiece Challenge? How much creative fun can you handle? Here is what it’s all about.
During the Covid19 quarantine, with inspiration from The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, The J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles challenged art lovers to get creative during the lockdown by posting photos of themselves recreating their favorite masterpieces from home. The response took the internet by storm and many others have now followed suit throughout the world.
The rules are very simple:
- Choose your favorite work of art that you would like to recreate
- Get inspired and fire up your imagination – see examples here, here, here, and here.
- Pick several common or cool objects lying around your house
- Get busy recreating that masterpiece with those items
- Get a photo image of the original work of art. Then take a photo of your recreation with a smartphone or digital camera.
- Submit your entry/entries by Tuesday, August 11. Voting will be open August 12 – 14. Winners will be announced during the live event and posted on this page.
Some suggestions and tips for your creative endeavor:
- Make a Face, strike a pose – pay attention to facial expressions and the structure of poses
- Gather the family – look for a group composition or dinner scene, engage the kids too.
- Enlist a pet – get your cats, dogs and other furry friends into the mix
- Pay attention to lighting – orient your composition so a window or lamp is casting similar light
- Think abstractly – focus on colors, shapes, lines that make you think out of the box
- Make it snackable – consider a still life or sculpture from some edibles in your refrigerator or pantry
Any questions, please email ArtParty Coordinator Ellen Rannells at email@example.com
Now go get your creative juices flowing…We can’t wait to see what you come up with. Have fun!
View the latest entries using the button below. Please cast your vote anytime between August 12 – 14. Votes will then be tallied to determine the top 3 winners who will be announced during the live event.
Based on your votes, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will be announced live at the event on August 15 from among those who creatively took part as Masterpiece Challengers. We will share their stories of inspiration and how their vision came to life. Prizes will be a handy HAM Tote bag filled with lots of Museum-related goodies including a $100 HAM membership that includes NARM membership, HAM artist’s apron, coupon for a class/workshop discount, some art supplies…plus a special sweet-tooth surprise baked especially for you by Marjorie, HAM’s Executive Director!
*Prizes may be picked up at the Museum on Tuesday August 18 & Wednesday August 19, 10 am -12 pm & 1-3 pm.
(Disclaimer – open for all to participate; staff and Board members not eligible for prizes)