Creating Zines with Rujuta Rao
Please note: This class will be held virtually using Zoom. Click HERE to learn more about online learning with HAM and contact Joan Gavornik with any questions or concerns.
For decades artists have made “zines,” or self-styled publications in which images, words, or a mixture of both come together to create easily reproduced pieces of artwork. Learn the basics of zine creation, from the construction of the book to how to choose your topic. Utilize photographs, text, collage techniques, drawing and more as you explore this awesome and adaptable medium. All levels welcome.
List of Materials:
The supplies below are a suggestion; you are welcome to work with whatever you have on hand that you are drawn to and wish to use for this class.
- 100 sheets of regular white copy paper, 8.5”x11”
- Drawings tools: pencils (HB, 2B, 6B), colored pencils, pens, sketchpens, brush and ink/paint
- Camera (digital or cell phone)
- X-acto knife
- A 12″ ruler
- A surface to cut on
- Optional: a printer to print and to photocopy
- Any other types of paper that you would like to work with
Featured Image: zines by Rujuta Rao
Medium: Repurposed packaging material, paper, photographs