Register for the Two Mills Plein Air Day
The Hunterdon Art Museum and the Red Mill Museum Village are teaming up to sponsor the third annual Two Mills Plein Air Day on Saturday, June 24.
Artists of all skill levels can enjoy a fun day outdoors creating art at one of New Jersey’s most scenic views along the South Branch of the Raritan River. Artists are welcome to work with watercolors, pastels, charcoal or any other media.
The daylong event begins at 9 a.m. with light refreshments, and concludes with a wine-and-cheese reception on HAM’s Toshiko Takaezu Terrace starting at 4 p.m.
Jurors for this year’s festival are: Oscar Peterson, Karen Romagna and Wes Sherman. Peterson, whose talents at a young age landed him a scholarship at the prestigious Pratt Institute, teaches several classes at the Museum. He is known for using traditional methods and techniques while incorporating new ideas and personal observations. You’ll find his works in corporate and private collections and museums across the country.
Romagna is a traditional painter, who has also illustrated picture books. She is the illustrator coordinator for the New Jersey Chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
Sherman has been painting for 25 years and his work was recently featured in a solo exhibition at HAM. He is the exhibitions chairperson at The Center for Contemporary Art in Bedminster and has been a visiting artist at several universities. In 2011, Sherman received a fellowship for painting from the New Jersey Council on the Arts.
One artist’s painting will be chosen best in show, as determined by the jurors, and will receive a $100 prize. Honorable Mentions will be noted for best watercolor, oil/acrylic and drawing.
You can register for the Two Mills Plein Air Day via PayPal at the link below or by calling us at 908-735-8415.
Competition Guidelines and Information
- The non-refundable registration fee is $35 through June 16, 2017 ($30 for HAM and Red Mill members) or $45 after June 16, 2017 ($40 for HAM and Red Mill members). Artists may register through the Hunterdon Art Museum’s website by clicking the link below, or in person the day of the event.
- Any media will be accepted.
- All artwork submitted for the competition must be started after 9:30 a.m. on the day of the event and completed on that day by 4 p.m.
- Artwork must be completed in the town of Clinton.
- The day will end with an informal art show on the Hunterdon Art Museum’s terrace. Artists will be expected to display their work on the easels they worked on throughout the day.
- Jurors will judge the displayed art and award a Best in Show and honorable mentions. A cash prize of $100 will be awarded to the Best in Show. Honorable mentions will not receive a cash prize.
- Both the Red Mill Museum Village and the Hunterdon Art Museum reserve the right to photograph all artists and their artwork during the event for promotional purposes.
- Both the Red Mill Museum Village and the Hunterdon Art Museum claim no responsibility for any injury that may occur during the course of the event. By registering, participants agree to indemnify and hold harmless both institutions, as well as their respective Trustees, officers, employees, and agents.
9 a.m.—Check in begins in front of the Red Mill Museum Village. Light refreshments available.
9:30 a.m. — Painting begins. (Anyone painting before 9:30 a.m. is disqualified.)
4 p.m.— Painting ends, artists bring their paintings to the Hunterdon Art Museum terrace for judging.
4 to 5 p.m.—Judging.
4 to 5:30 p.m. — Wine and cheese reception for judges on HAM terrace.
5 p.m.—Winners announced.
*Times are subject to change.
Please note: There is no rain date scheduled for this event at this time. At the discretion of the two museums, the event may be canceled due to stormy weather. All registration fees will be returned if the event is canceled due to stormy weather. Otherwise, fees are nonrefundable.